Software is eating the world — and as Atlassian’s largest global provider of award-winning commercial apps, Appfire is uniquely prepared for the feast! Our trusted product brands like “Bob Swift” and “Wittified” are loved by over 10,000 business teams worldwide, amassing over 1 million downloads. Come, be a part of our Appfire family for this amazing journey!
Appfire is looking for an exceptional Principal Product UI/UX Designer to join our fast growing team.
YOU have an insatiable passion for elegant and intuitive software products, and have devoted your career to the design and development of extraordinary user interfaces and user experiences.
YOU have a deep-seated and voracious curiosity for what software products can do, and how they can be improved through customer-centric design. This drives you to devour knowledge from product engineers about functional capability, and to own the vision, design, production, testing, and curation of cohesive new UI/UX elements that make your software stand out from the crowd.
YOU are a champion of continuous improvement and are bored by the idea of working on one product. You are only truly fulfilled when creating incredible interfaces and reusable experience patterns for expansive product families across multiple brands.
YOU share our passion for creating award-winning products that help millions of users and thousands of amazing brands to do incredible things every day. Household names like Apple, Google, Tesla, Bank of America, SpaceX, Disney, Visa, Netflix, GE, IBM, NASA, and many more.
If this is you, welcome to the Appfire family.
United States (Minneapolis, Boston, or Atlanta preferred)
What You'll Be Responsible For
- Driving user experience across all our product brands. Your designs will impact millions of users daily.
- Owning all phases of UI/UX work associated with software product releases including: customer interviews and observational studies, review of product usage data, information architecture, conceptual design and mockups, experience flows, prototyping, detailed graphic design, user testing, front-end implementation, fine-tuning, and UI/UX launch readiness.
- Leading efforts to meaningfully update and continuously evolve the visual & interaction design quality of our core product lines. This involves working closely with talented product architects, engineers, and other stakeholders to design and develop intuitive and compelling UI/UX patterns for dozens of top-selling software products.
- Collaborating with product teams at key stages of the product development process to concept, design, and build integration-ready UI/UX elements with a high degree of quality and efficiency that enrich the customer experience.
- Developing, curating, and proactively evolving a UI/UX component library into a central UI/UX guideline of standards and best practices to be leveraged by product teams across the Appfire family. Growing to push beyond general UI elements and develops into an integrated multi-brand design system for product experience. Understanding and following proper procedures and best practices. Ensuring high quality technical documentation is completed and maintained.
- Creating and negotiating schedules for product UI/UX design deliverables directly with product teams in alignment with product roadmaps.
- Proactively seeking out and growing deep levels of functional product knowledge, along with common customer business cases, from various product engineering stakeholders, marketing, and company leadership. Using relationships within engineering and marketing to share knowledge, best practices, and solve advanced experience challenges.
- Collaborating with all product teams throughout Appfire to ensure cohesive use of interface elements that deliver a harmonized branded experience, and to solicit feedback for continuous improvement of Appfire’s central UI/UX guidelines.
- Reviewing functional specifications, user guides, or other product documentation to verify that design and functional requirements are in alignment.
- Working with product architects to understand user needs, business needs, and stakeholder requirements. Analyzing user experience data to provide data-driven recommendations.
- Supporting customer feedback around the enhancement and evolution of our product design standards including aesthetic and interactive clarification and refinement.
- Frequently presenting design concepts and deliverables to the product team, as well as internal stakeholders. Leading design reviews, and presenting to senior management when needed.
- Drawing on deep knowledge of design principles and human behavior to explain your design rationale.
- Championing user-centered design principles throughout the company, serving as the company’s primary UI/UX representative with customers, vendors and partners.
- Researching and showcasing knowledge of the UI/UX industry’s evolving trends, methods, technologies and best practices, as well as corporate, ecosystem, and industry standards to ensure leading-edge interpretation and execution of user-centric design principles for our downloadable, cloud-based, and mobile software. Exercising a high degree of logic and judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Recommending and implementing tools and best practices to improve UX’s ability to scale and efficiency work with multiple teams and products.
- Researching and maintaining a well-rounded and ongoing perspective of the UI/UX principles and standards across Atlassian’s overall product and app ecosystem and how Appfire’s products and features fit within it.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with various UI/UX teams at Atlassian and serving as Appfire’s primary point of contact for UI/UX within the Atlassian ecosystem.
- Acting as an internal UI/UX consultant and contributing to thought leadership on related topics.
About Your Skills and Experience
- BFA or BS in User Experience (UX) Design, User Interface (UI) Design, Interaction Design, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Human-Centered Computing, or related degree.
- 8+ years of relevant experience as a UX designer, interaction designer, information architect, software/graphic developer, or similar role. Proven experience in new product launch projects is required.
- You have experience designing and shipping several iterations of multiple products or product families, evolving their designs over time, NOT JUST WEBSITES. (Emphasis provided for clarity.)
- You have created and maintained design standards (visual and interaction) for a product team. Preferably a distributed team.
- Demonstrable expertise in industry standard tooling and frameworks such as Adobe CS/CC, InVision, Balsamiq, Sketch, Axure, UXPin, HTML5, CSS3, and Bootstrap is a must.
- Competent with Google’s GSuite (Sheets, Docs, etc.) and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, etc.). Experience using Atlassian tools (Confluence, Jira, Trello, etc.) is a plus.
- Experience designing user experiences that people can access on any type of device, desktop, tablet, phone.
- Demonstrable experience translating design concepts and constraints into elegant and intuitive high-fidelity wireframes, interaction mockups, user experience flows, and functional UI prototypes.
- Strong understanding of classic interaction design principles and how to use them.
- Exceptional eye for detail. You value quality and polish in the work that you and your colleagues produce. You have a passion for championing UX and innovation.
- You're a great storyteller - verbally, visually, in writing, and behaviorally. You have the ability to generate and communicate your research, conceptual ideas, attractive designs, and design rationale; all within a structured user-centered design process.
- Demonstrates progressive recognition in your field as a specialist in multiple disciplines and has acquired enough breadth to lead initiatives. Experience leading and mentoring other designers is a plus.
- You are an enthusiastic self-starter who can collaborate deeply with technical teams.
- Thrives in an environment that requires independent self-direction. Proactively updates colleagues on active initiatives. Completes most tasks with minimal guidance.
- You are a creative thinker who can effectively innovate big ideas and also work out all the details.
- You are a natural problem solver with the ability to thrive on juggling multiple demands, prioritizing multiple concurrent UI/UX initiatives across multiple teams, delivering under tight timelines, and adapting quickly to change.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills. Ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders, including technical developers, marketers, business leaders, and end users.
- Able to take feedback constructively and iterate on designs and ideas from multiple stakeholders with differing opinions.
- Experience moving your designs through an agile development process is a plus.
- Driven by a collaborative, growth and learning mindset, constantly seeking improvement.
- You are able to show off an eye-popping portfolio of your recent and relevant UI/UX work, demonstrating high standards of aesthetic and interactive skill.
As part of the Appfire team, in addition to a competitive full time salary, you’ll also have the current flexibility to primarily work from your home office and enjoy benefits such as full company-paid health insurance.
More About Us
For more than 12 years, Appfire has driven Atlassian products and services into the Enterprise, enabling countless teams to quickly innovate, develop, and bring their products to market. With over 1 million downloads, and more than 60 of the most popular apps on the Atlassian Marketplace, Appfire's award-winning "Bob Swift" and "Wittified" product brands have helped over 10,000 customers across 100 countries to creatively enhance their Atlassian tools.